Mekong Bobtail; what is the history? History of the origin of the Mekong Bobtail breed, description of the standard appearance of the cat, characteristics of the character and health of the pet, rules for keeping full-breed pets, price of a kitten. Mekong bobtail represents the cat world with a rich history, great appearance, good health, and golden temperament. These cats quickly become loyal friends and companions for every family member.
What is a Mekong Bobtail cat?
Historical information and people’s stories about representatives of this cat breed are more like the stories about some hero and holy knight. To some extent, this is true. These excellent cleans are considered a very ancient cat breed. The lands of Indochina are considered their native landmarks. Still, no one outside this kingdom has ever heard or known anything about them. The locals loved, appreciated, and protected the original masks so much that they did not agree to take them out of the country for money and wealth. According to much scientific information, Mekong bobtails had their particular purpose in life – they were considered the guardians of the temples. It is probably why the Mekong bobtail was so valued and held in such high esteem among the people of Indochina.
But fortunately for cat lovers around the world, some of these unusual animals still managed to make a “journey abroad.” In the middle of the 19th century, Englishwoman Anna Crawford worked as a governess for the royal family of Siam. The woman liked the local pets so much that she took some babies with her before returning to her homeland. No one can say whether such “removal” of cats was done with His Majesty’s permission or whether the governor did everything in secret, but this is not so important. But what is curious is that the residents of Foggy Albion, who had found such “foreign cats,” were simply happy. And soon, representatives of the new breed were buying them at breakneck speed and fabulous prices.
But such kitty business was spread on a small scale until one of the kittens served as a gift to the English ambassador, Owen Gould. The official was fascinated by his pet, and this incident became significant for Mekong bobtails. From that day on, rumors of unusual animals began to spread at the speed of light and not only words but the kittens themselves. The area of such popularity first reached most of the countries of the European continent, and a few years later, beautiful pranks began to “conquer” the American fans of the cat world. In America, the Mekong bobtail, surprisingly enough, appeared much later, and they did not make such a furor.
Surprisingly, even though representatives of this species were very popular, respected, and expensive animals, there was no mention of any genus. They were first introduced when a cat with an unusual tail to members of the executive committee of one of the big cat organizations did not end well. At first, considered all their seat processes nothing more than anatomical defects. However, later, with great effort, America, in alliance with the Asians, still won the right to exist for the Mekong Bobtail and its unusual tail. Furthermore, at the beginning of the XXI century, these cute cats still received a certificate about the “pedigree” from many cat organizations worldwide.
Mekong Bobtail: description of appearance standard and photograph of the species
Many researchers and cat zoologists claim that the extraordinary appearance of Mekong bobtail pets is nothing more than a natural phenomenon. Still, some are more inclined to believe that some similarities with Siamese cats are because other cats live in the same area. Maybe these “tail” kittens are some distant relatives of the Siamese?
- Frame. Mekong Bobtail cats have a medium-sized body; the mass of an adult male rarely exceeds 6 kg. The animal’s body is shaped like a rectangle with slightly rounded, soft contours. The cat is very slim and fit, with well-developed muscles.
- The limbs of the Mekong bobtail are not too large in length but solid and stable. It ends with rounded legs. A characteristic of this cat is that the claws on the back legs cannot hide in the pads. In this regard, when the animal walks on hard surfaces, you can hear a characteristic clap, as if the cat is cut on high heels.
- Her head configuration resembles a slightly modified wedge, devoid of sharp angles and lines. The top of the skull is a bit flat. If you look carefully at the animal profile, you will not be able to notice a single notch or bump. Interestingly, according to the breed standard, the transition from nose to forehead should be well below eye level in purebred Mekong Bobtails. The chin is strong and well visible, and the cheekbones are not prominent. Moreover, visible zygomatic arches are considered a disadvantage of the breed. The nose is neat and beautiful.
- The eyes of these aliens are not too large, located at a slight angle. Most kittens suffer from strabismus, but oddly enough, the more the cat’s visual organs are cut, the more demand it has and the higher the cost. And the point is that there is a legend that since the representatives of this species in ancient times were the guards of the temples, a shell was formed only in the most professional and attentive animals when they looked in all directions so as not to miss all that valuable feature. Accordingly, this quality is not a disease or defect but rather indicates the intellectual ability and purity of the animal. As for the color of the iris, according to the standard, it can be only blue.
- The Mekong bobtail’s auricles are small, tapering slightly from a broader base to a gently rounded tip. The ears are located a great distance from each other; it is essential to consider that the length of the space between the ears should not exceed the height of one ear.
- The tail process is the most remarkable and memorable body part of the Mekong Bobtail. Many call these purrs “tailless,” but this judgment is wrong. They have a balance organ, even if it is not the same as most cats, but it even adorns the spinner. The tail of each Mekong individual is unique in structure and size; for each cat, the tail process consists of a different number and different shapes of bends, knots, and bends. Their tails can be of different lengths, but not a single case of a seat consisting of fewer than 3 vertebrae has been recorded. But there is also a maximum limit on tail length. Disqualified from several pedigree animals where the tail length exceeds a quarter of the body length.
- The wool of the Mekong Bobtail is soft, silky, shiny, and relatively short. They do not have another fur; if a cat with a thick undercoat is in front of you, it is not who it says it is. If we consider colors, the breed standard allows almost all color possibilities of color points, except white. The most common individuals with a fur coat painted in red, seal, and thick colors. It is best to buy a kitten from reliable and trusted sellers, as there can be shades of color. The point is that newborn babies are all covered, as one, with snow-white fur. Only after a while can the shadow of the skin change, and only at the age when the pet reaches puberty is the color already transformed.
Mekong Bobtail cat character
By keeping such a pet in your home, you can be sure that you will be surrounded by a lot of attention, love, and feline sensitivity. These pets get used to a person very quickly and love to spend time with him, while the purr never chooses one; he loves and respects all family members. You can have fun with the Mekong, both in the house and far outside; he likes to walk on a leash and even to impressive distances.
By nature, these short-haired cats are experts at hunting gear, so don’t be afraid that your friend will bring you a mouse or bird from the walk as a token of appreciation for your kindness. Such animal skills create problems for those who, besides the Mekong Bobtail, have a hamster, parrot, or fish in their house. These pets are more likely to become a delicious meal for the cat. As for other cats or dogs, there are no problems with them. Usually, they are friends and entertain each other, at times sad and melancholy.
The temperament of cats and cats is significantly different; male bobtails are very phlegmatic, balanced, and patient, while the fair sex is much more active, twitchy, and characteristic. For example, a cat can play for a long time with small children and even forgive the child some minor pranks, but the cat does not allow this; she can quickly drop her claws on the child. You can always cuddle the man and carry him in his arms while the “lady” decides for herself when she needs your attention and when she doesn’t need to be touched.
Nature has endowed these bullies with a highly developed mind and deliberation; it is easy to teach such a pet the basic rules of behavior in an apartment, teach how to use a tray and scratch. These cats also quickly learn to perform simple tricks, such as fetching a ball or string, especially if they are promised some treat as a reward.
Mekong Bobtail Health
We can safely say that these fantastic cats have excellent genetics; they do not have genetic diseases. The body’s natural strength of the Mekong bobtail cat is also only envied, and if they are supported by timely vaccination, with the correct dosage and high-quality drugs, as well as good care, balanced nutrition, and walks in the fresh air. Such an unusual pet, active recreation will accompany you for 20-25 years. And in some cases, these numbers are way off the mark.
But you should not only rely on genetics; you must never forget that to a greater extent, the health of a pet and its general well-being depends on its owner. The Mekong also has terrible points. First, these are teeth and soft tissue in the dental cavity. These cats are pretty prone to tartar deposition and gingivitis. To prevent these problems, the pet must brush its teeth and gums. But some symptoms can tell you that your friend has a problem. These include: bad breath from the animal’s mouth, increased saliva production, discolored or bleeding gums, and decreased appetite. As for the latter, the Mekong bobtail wants to eat, and even very much, but the inflammatory process hurts the cat to do so.
These cats also have the potential to develop hearing loss, which is also up to you. It is necessary to clean the ears regularly from dust particles, dead skin, and earwax accumulation.
If you allow your pet to go outside often, it is recommended that the cat and its skin be checked for external parasites, such as fleas and ticks. Internal parasites also “rarely visit” the body of the Mekong Bobtail, so they should carry out the prevention of helminthiasis regularly. It is also necessary to show the veterinary medicine to the veterinarian at least once every six months for a general examination and the delivery of all the required tests.
Grooming a Mekong Bobtail cat at home
- Hair guard. Since the Mekong bobtail has a short coat and no undercoat, it is a pleasure to care for it. In regular times, smoothing the pet’s fur with a damp palm will be more than enough. During the shedding period, it is recommended to remove unwanted hair elements using either a soft massage brush or a special rubber glove. As for bathing a Mekong Bobtail, experts unanimously advise not to test the cat’s nervous system, as these animals are elegant and tidy and keep their fur clean. But the conditions are different, so you can wash the cat as needed. For this, it is recommended to use a high-quality shampoo based on natural ingredients. When choosing a detergent, it is better to choose a shampoo and conditioner for skin prone to dryness.
- Cleanliness. A Mekong bobtail cat regularly cleans its ears with cotton swabs equipped with plugs to protect the delicate eardrum from mechanical damage. It is not recommended to use folk remedies as an aid, as the animal may have unwanted skin manifestations. It is best to purchase a special liquid from your veterinary pharmacy to clean your cat’s ears. Teeth also need regular care, you can brush them with a cat toothbrush, but to clean the gums of a Mekong, it is better to use a tight, clean, lint-free cloth wrapped around your index finger. Tooth powders or pastes for animals are also available at pharmacies. About once a week, you must wipe your pet’s eyes with cotton pads soaked in boiled water or tea leaves.
- Should also trim Claws. The best frequency for this procedure is once every 3-4 weeks. It must be done carefully so as not to cause excruciating pain to the animal. Remember that you can only cut off the fine tip of the claw; outside, it is a vast number of sensitive nerve endings. To cut the nails, you need to use very sharp pliers; otherwise, you can risk splitting the claw, which will seriously injure your companion.
- What to give? Prepared food or natural homemade food – it’s up to you. But it should remember that if the food is premium or homemade, then the pet’s lunch should contain all the vitamins and minerals it needs. The menu for the Mekong bobtail should include the following: lean meat, offal, sea fish meat (no more than 2 times a week), dairy products, grains, vegetables, chicken, and scrambled eggs. If you feed your homemade cat food, don’t forget regular vitamin courses. Before choosing medicine and its dose, you need to contact a veterinarian.
Price of Mekong Bobtail kittens
The average cost of a purebred Mekong is about 120$ to 200$. Still, the price can vary depending on the breed, pedigree, and class of the animal.